Sunday, October 31

How a Mere Crease Can All But Ruin My Day

Fucking Halloween.

I have just been rudely jolted from my dreams (a late afternoon siesta; an essential forty winks) by what I can only assume were some chav trash Trick or Treaters - some rats off the local sink estate.

And sometimes, when you're caught unawares . . . Cue a flux of panic in case it were a proper unsolicited and unwanted visitor (it wouldn't be the first Sunday that a distraught friend has arrived on the doorstep, declaiming that they are "through with love" - straight out of the movies, of course, and pure yarbles), as opposed to some filth I could simply ignore; and in the Chaplinesque process of half-dressing and attempting to clear the bed of material that had aided and abetted a jolly good run at the Wank Wall (yes, a touch of Larkinesque) I creased the front cover of my paperback Collected Stories of Vladimir Nabokov.

(I should quickly explain here that books give way only to female flesh on my lopsided double bed.)

So? I hear you ask.

Ah, you don't understand, do you?

Now, at times I can look a shambles, and feel an absolute wreck - "Oh if this is how I look, imagine how I feel . . . " - but I am FASTIDIOUSNESS personified when it comes to my books. They are, almost without exception, my treasures; those I read with a rhythm of snorts and grunts and bodily scratches don't get to hang around: passing on such filth to charity is my idea of a good turn. (Actually, I do give blood, but that is my sole offfering to society!)

My books are my treasures, and a mere crease in one can all but ruin my day. Consequentially, when I lend a book I rate to a friend, I know I am in effect waving goodbye to that copy for ever - for when I get it back it's usually been tortured by said friend, walking tonka toy spawn, or dog. Really, the book may be sordid, but there was no need to give it a bath . . .

I suspect such behaviour is borderline some irrational psycho-something or other - and here I may as well confess that I can tick the boxes of the Big Three of childhood dementia: an attraction to fire (I burned down our house!); the need to torture helpless animals (a bashed-in tortoise shell may still be holding rain for months on end somewhere on a hillside in South Wales); and bed-wetting (no memories - I just assume I did this too, for I was a nervous child).

Having told you all that, I may as well tell you this: when I was nothing but a bawling bundle of limbs in my second-hand cot, the ceiling gave way above, missing me by just a few feet. A few feet, but that was enough: it's my first memory - quelle damage!; and since my first conscious recollection of the incident I've been waving two fingers at the supposed gods of fate. You. Yes you. You had your chance . . .

Back to now. All this reminds me: I have still to prattle down my thoughts on a supposedly great contemporary novelist whose latest tome I snorted, grunted and scratched my way through last weekend. And, hilariously, she is on the list attached to Nabokov in the gnod: the Global Network of Dreams (see link).

I feel fairly certain that the great man himself would snort, grunt and scratch away at the authors whose works are seen here as fellow travellers to his corpus; only Tolstoy and Joyce would remain. Some of those listed have come along since Nabokov's death, but, judging by his dismissal of the supposed greats of his time, you can assume that, using the Critic as Bouncer theory espoused in Martin Amis' novel The Information, only geniuses would be allowed in Nabokov's speakeasy.

Unsurprisingly, inside the gnod link there are some retarded views on Lolita, a novel which in my not-so-humble cruises into the Olympic final of the greatest novels of the twentieth century - though in Lane 4, it must be said, there's Ulysees.

So: fucking Halloween (America's shittiest invention - period). And, for the record, I can't stand Bonfire Night either; here in London, practically every night in November is punctuated by the fizz and pop of fireworks, as the street urchins (those runts, those rats again!) pick up half-price catherine wheels and sibling horrorshows from the local convenience stores - no questions asked.

For once, and just this once, I feel for the wailing dogs. How I hate this time of year.

Fucking Halloween.

Link

posted by DD @ 19:01 

21 Comments:

Blogger alena said...

Hey, I have enjoyed...your blog is informative - even entertaining.

I have a halloween sites. They pretty much covers costumes and masks related stuff.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to bookmark you.

4 October 2005 at 11:51  
Blogger Dennery said...

Hello there, I hope you don't mind but I Just wanted to let you know about my site based on heathrow airport hotel parking but it also covers Travel Related Stuff
such as Cheap Flights, Car Rental, Cruises, Holiday Taxi Transfers, Airport Lounges and much more,
if you or friends are travelling soon you could save a bundle on your next trip.Click Here

7 October 2005 at 20:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I visited your site today.
I am a huge motorcycle fan myself. And I am thinking about starting my own custom motorcycle wheels blog.

Wishing you the best.

Raymond
custom motorcycle wheels

7 October 2005 at 23:23  
Blogger Tom Naka said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about health care jobs in maryland
. It pretty much covers health care jobs in maryland
related stuff.

9 October 2005 at 15:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site has a lot of information pertaining to my interests herbal remedy for flea . I will definitely bookmark this page and be back later. If you get a chance, please check out my herbal remedy for flea site. We so have something in common. Check ya later...

12 October 2005 at 00:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is having a Hot Rod Halloween on Sunday, October 30. If you love car show schedule then you will want to be there! All kinds of car show schedule will be in attendance. For more information go to car show schedule
See Ya There!!

23 October 2005 at 23:49  
Anonymous car hire glasgow said...

Well done on a nice blog DD. I was searching for information on wedding car hire and ran across your post How a Mere Crease Can All But Ruin My Day - not exactly what I was looking for related to wedding car hire but a very interesting read all the same!

25 October 2005 at 07:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a site http://www.discount-spanish-property.co.uk/ it pretty much covers
115 newsletter no property spanish update related stuff come and have a look

25 October 2005 at 19:38  
Blogger Raven said...

Nice blog i own a site about anime hot it has lots of information and topics on anime hot

29 October 2005 at 20:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy to find another site with information on small water garden
.

I have a newsletter that I like to share information about websites I find that are about water gardening. I will be sure to mention you.

I hope that you will pay me a visit as well.

Thanks,
Thomas Holley
Water-Garden-Directory.com

2 November 2005 at 03:41  
Blogger asenetpro said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

This is a posting promoting music related info on my site american recording site/blog. It pretty much covers recording related stuff. my site is free for all to list their event post classified ad and to just post forum for hard to find info and many other thing music related. So if you are a dj, musician, producer, manager, engineer, artist, singer, dancer or have anything music related please visit my site and join to post all your info

Joining is free for all list your site plus more

american recording

4 November 2005 at 05:27  
Blogger Alfred said...

great site !! computer hardware career

4 November 2005 at 07:00  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

5 November 2005 at 14:52  
Blogger blazerup said...

I enjoyed your site very much it was a great help looking for info on medical insurance billing.
I also have a site with information on medical insurance billing and would appreciate it very much if you would take a look and give a critique.

13 November 2005 at 08:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u want an ipod, you can go to www.getipodsforfree.com and do an offer. follow the instructions and they'll actually send you a freeipod, no joke, there's reviews all over the internet

17 November 2005 at 11:48  
Blogger Blog World said...

A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist.
Stewart Alsop- Posters.

21 November 2005 at 21:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I leave a response when I appreciate a post
on a website or if I have something to add to the discussion.
It's a result of the sincerness communicated in the article I read. And after this post "How a Mere Crease Can All But Ruin My Day". I was moved enough to drop a thought :) I actually do have 2 questions for you if it's allright.
Is it simply me or do some of the responses come across as if
they are written by brain dead individuals?
:-P And, if you are writing on other places, I'd like to keep up with you. Could you make a list all of all your public pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

my web blog :: cheapest health insurance quotes

26 March 2013 at 14:46  
Blogger oakleyses said...

jordan shoes, prada handbags, nike air max, nike air max, kate spade handbags, louis vuitton outlet online, christian louboutin, coach outlet store online, oakley vault, longchamp handbags, red bottom shoes, coach outlet, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, nike free, true religion outlet, christian louboutin shoes, tiffany and co jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet store, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet online, louis vuitton handbags, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren, true religion, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, michael kors outlet, coach purses, polo ralph lauren outlet, burberry outlet online, ray ban outlet, kate spade outlet online, michael kors outlet online, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, nike shoes, louis vuitton, coach outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet online

3 November 2014 at 03:41  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ray ban pas cher, ray ban uk, chaussure louboutin, hermes pas cher, air jordan, new balance pas cher, nike roshe run, louis vuitton pas cher, true religion jeans, lululemon, nike air max, nike roshe, nike blazer pas cher, nike air max, nike free, michael kors canada, hollister, ralph lauren pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, louis vuitton, burberry pas cher, longchamp, nike air force, converse pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, nike free pas cher, air max pas cher, ralph lauren, vans pas cher, sac michael kors, north face pas cher, sac louis vuitton, michael kors uk, scarpe hogan, hollister, guess pas cher, north face, timberland, true religion outlet, air max, barbour, longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton uk, tn pas cher, oakley pas cher, lacoste pas cher, mulberry

3 November 2014 at 03:42  
Blogger oakleyses said...

roshe run, bottega veneta, celine handbags, jimmy choo shoes, mac cosmetics, canada goose outlet, lululemon outlet, rolex watches, new balance outlet, beats headphones, giuseppe zanotti, mont blanc pens, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, ugg soldes, ugg boots, chi flat iron, canada goose outlet, instyler ionic styler, uggs outlet, north face outlet, mcm handbags, insanity workout, nike trainers, wedding dresses, p90x workout, ugg outlet, hollister, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, uggs on sale, ugg, valentino shoes, longchamp, nike huarache, north face jackets, ghd, babyliss pro, canada goose, asics shoes, nfl jerseys, reebok shoes, birkin bag, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys

3 November 2014 at 03:43  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, moncler, pandora charms, toms outlet, lancel, pandora uk, moncler, links of london uk, parajumpers outlet, oakley, moncler, nike air max, converse shoes, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton canada, baseball bats, ray ban, swarovski uk, replica watches, moncler, supra shoes, gucci, ugg, converse, air max, vans, hollister canada, canada goose uk, moncler, timberland shoes, canada goose, ralph lauren, thomas sabo uk, uggs canada, iphone 6 case, wedding dress, canada goose pas cher, montre femme, moncler outlet, hollister clothing, swarovski jewelry, pandora jewelry, hollister, coach outlet, karen millen, moncler, louboutin, juicy couture outlet

3 November 2014 at 03:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home