Friday, August 13

England Is a Nation of Character Actors

In order to pacify some sick inner demon that toys with me, I insist on dragging myself - or wilfully being dragged - to the theatre at least once a year. And I do mean dragged - drugged and dragged - and I do mean once a year.

The theatre experience should be my thing, but it generally is not: no air con in the theatres; wine with bits of cork in and beer that is nowhere near cold enough in the interval; and too much bullshit chatter. All that, and the fear of bumping into, say, Harold Pinter and really having to land one on. I don't think I could turn down the opportunity.

Still I go, and as I put it it's this silly little thing about hearing so many people say they love London beacause of the theatre... When its existence has very little to do with my adoration of the city. An adoration which I'll probably try to nail, then nail again, and again, late one night, but not now. A starter: my belief is that this golden state is LA and NYC combined. A Unique City!

To the theatre. The ones I've loved over recent years include Dealer's Choice and Closer, both by Patrick Marber (indeed I actually saw Closer twice). And, of course, I loved Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell.

I also went to see Art. Having listened to it on the radio one Sunday and not even registered a single inner smile, I expected to hate it. During this West End run it was performed by a revolving cast of lower-list 'celebs' (yankees - that means British people you've never heard of) and the production I saw featured The League of Gentlemen - and it was fabulous. They were fabulous. Fabulously funny.

(Thinking back, I can only claim that I must have been semi-comatose lying on my bed as the radio production droned by. That, and the fact I can be incredibly cloth-eared and stupid.)

This year's love is The History Boys by Alan Bennett - and this piece in the excellent New York Observer is as good a review of it as any I remember reading; if I remember rightly, the play received pretty much unanimous praise from the press.

The point about England being a nation of character actors is spot on; the unsaid corollary is that the USA deals in stars. But it explains why I prefer Gene Hackman to the likes of Tom Cruise, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman to Johnny Depp. The latter a tougher call, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Here, apart from the odd Butlins entertainer, we're all J Alfred Prufrock in temperament, despite the tacky and sordid americanisation of our public manners that filters through Reality TV. Think hugs. Hugging. Stop it now! Hands off me.

Not that I know jack about acting. Just that Nicolas Cage cannot act. (Come on: that anti-talent is in the Coppola family gene.)

So even if you think that the theatre is the least theatrical entertainment around (as I do) go see The History Boys.

Yeah, I have noted it too: an unusual number of 'loved' , 'adored' and 'fabulous' or their brethren in this missive. I could say it's a deliberate stylistic wind-up, but I think the real truth is that I protest too much. I'm a closet luvvie (which will not come as any kind of shock to some of my friends, but will come as an opportunity to the whole damn lot of them).

posted by DD @ 01:46 

4 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

nike free, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co jewelry, jordan shoes, christian louboutin, ray ban outlet, coach outlet store online, tory burch outlet online, true religion, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet online, nike air max, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, kate spade outlet online, oakley sunglasses, oakley vault, chanel handbags, coach outlet, red bottom shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, coach outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, longchamp handbags, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors handbags, gucci handbags, burberry outlet online, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet store, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet online, kate spade outlet

4 December 2014 at 06:11  
Blogger oakleyses said...

air jordan, nike roshe run, north face, nike roshe, guess pas cher, longchamp pas cher, oakley pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, nike free, burberry pas cher, nike air max, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors canada, louis vuitton, lacoste pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, tn pas cher, nike air max, nike air force, ray ban pas cher, hollister, scarpe hogan, michael kors uk, lululemon, air max, mulberry, ralph lauren, vans pas cher, nike free pas cher, north face pas cher, timberland, true religion outlet, hollister, converse pas cher, louis vuitton uk, new balance pas cher, sac michael kors, longchamp, chaussure louboutin, air max pas cher, ray ban uk, sac louis vuitton, nike blazer pas cher, barbour, true religion jeans, louis vuitton pas cher, hermes pas cher

4 December 2014 at 06:19  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, valentino shoes, birkin bag, ugg soldes, nike huarache, reebok shoes, uggs outlet, north face jackets, lululemon outlet, celine handbags, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, beats headphones, new balance outlet, ugg boots, nfl jerseys, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, uggs on sale, uggs outlet, jimmy choo shoes, ugg boots, herve leger, vans outlet, ugg, p90x workout, insanity workout, chi flat iron, canada goose outlet, mont blanc pens, nike trainers, nike roshe, replica watches, abercrombie and fitch, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, hollister, soccer shoes, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, marc jacobs outlet, canada goose, bottega veneta, asics shoes, mac cosmetics, instyler ionic styler, babyliss

4 December 2014 at 06:29  
Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, hollister canada, baseball bats, montre femme, canada goose, supra shoes, moncler outlet, vans, hollister clothing, pandora jewelry, wedding dress, coach outlet, ray ban, pandora uk, canada goose, iphone 6 case, uggs canada, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton canada, hollister, gucci, timberland shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo uk, moncler, swarovski uk, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, links of london uk, parajumpers outlet, converse, moncler outlet, converse shoes, lancel, replica watches, oakley, pandora charms, louboutin, toms outlet, karen millen, moncler, ugg, nike air max, moncler, moncler, air max, swarovski jewelry, canada goose pas cher

4 December 2014 at 06:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home